Richard brings over 30 years of leadership experience in energy project development and governance, energy marketing, and finance to clients via his consulting practice at Planning Solutions. Also, as Chief Commercial Officer for Fractal Systems., he is leading the commercial implementation of advanced technology which lower costs and GHGs for bitumen producers, while freeing up export pipeline capacity. He is known as a trusted advisor and effective communicator within the Calgary Energy community and is a sought-after commentator on energy matters.
Richard’s experiences include:
· Fractal Systems: Chief Commercial Officer currently deploying its Enhanced JetShear technology.
· Planning Solutions: President, a consulting practice focused on energy project development.
· Alberta Petroleum Marketing Commission: CEO, where he led Alberta’s domestic and international commercial activities to improve crude oil infrastructure and markets access. Richard represented Alberta/APMC on the Sturgeon Refinery Executive Leadership Committee, which oversaw the construction, financing and start-up of a $9.7 billion project. He was active on the project’s Operating, Finance, Audit, Commercial, HS&E and Insurance Committees.
· Nexen: VP Risk Management and member of the Marketing Global Leadership Team; Finance Director and member of the Long Lake Oil Sands Project Management Committee
· Value Creation Group: Director of Business Development and Corporate Planning
· Shell: Manager, Planning and Finance for the Athabasca Oil Sands Project
· Alberta Energy Department: Director of Oil Sands Policy and Development
Richard is Vice-Chair of the Board of Governors of the University of Lethbridge, Audit Committee Chair and a member of its Executive, Finance, and Compensation Committees. He is also a First Vice-Chair of the World Petroleum Council-Canada, an Executive Fellow of the University of Calgary School of Public Policy and an Advisory Board member for Iridium Risk Management. He was previously a board member of the China-Alberta Petroleum Center and board member and Audit Committee Chair for the Calgary Regional Community Board for Persons with Developmental Disabilities. He has also been active on other non-profit boards. Richard holds MBA, CFA and ICD.D designations.